Friday, October 18, 2013

Birthday swim at Coogee's McIver's Ladies' Baths

As a birthday present to myself last week I went for a swim at McIver's Ladies' Baths.


I had visited the Coogee pool a few times before but this was the first time I was diving in.


Mid-week, McIver's is a peaceful spot where breaststroke is the preferred style or a leisurely backstroke.


A few also don caps and goggles and lap close to the chains where the waves wash in.


Others channel Valerie Taylor in their snorkels and masks and gaze at the underwater treasures.


When I pushed off into the blue-green water I did a slow breaststroke to the northern end where I stood on a submerged rock and looked back to Coogee Beach


I watched a surfer paddle by just outside the borders of the pool, and delighted in the white water gushing in and out and moving me about. 


And then I brought my camera into the pool and snapped all the beauty that abounds above and below the water.


As I dried off after my swim, I talked to a woman who told me it was also her first time at this cocoon-like, women-only pool.


"I can't believe I've lived in Sydney all these years and only discovered it now," she said.


For more about McIver's Baths read my earlier blog here.

8 comments:

  1. Astounding photos Therese. Thanks for sharing your birthday present with us all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Jen. I think taking the photos from within the pool helps. It was a beautiful Sydney day and a nice treat for my birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your photos of the pool and what a great way to spend your birthday! It really is a special place to hang out and appreciate nature. Enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Mrs G. Couldn't think of a nicer way to celebrate my birthday than with a swim at such a lovely ocean pool!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great photos! What a blast from the past. That's where I learned to swim, 50 years ago. Thanks for the memories.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Linda. It's a special place and they still have lessons there on Saturday mornings.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fiber optic star lights can be sprinkled along the bottom of the pool, wall of a waterfall, or inside of a grotto with astronomical effects. Dazzling visual displays can be seen as the LED and fiber optic lights shift in color and set the mood for a romantic late-night swim or a bustling backyard bash. Stahlwandpools

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dazzling visual displays can be seen as the LED and fiber optic lights shift in color and set the mood for a romantic late-night swim or a bustling backyard bash. Including fiber optics or LED lights in your pool renovations will change your nightlife. Rundpool

    ReplyDelete